Thursday, March 25, 2010

Windsurfing Rules Again






Jacky in the 3 photos above. Dwight in the upper photo.

About board quality, here is an update, since a few people have asked about this since buying Naish. My knowledge of "windsurf" board construction was out of date. Being out of windsurfing for 10 years, with zero exposure, left me way behind in knowledge. I cancelled all windsurf mags when I switched to kiting 10 years ago. I freaked when I saw no PVC sandwich in that broken Naish. Little did I know, wood sandwich had replaced PVC as the cutting edge construction with windsurf boards. Invented by Starboard, an entry level brand nobody took serious when I left the sport. Imagine the surprise to return to windsurfing and find Starboard had become the largest windsurf brand and wood was now the go-to material of choice.

Now that I've installed quad boxes in my Naish's and seen and felt the wood in my hands, I'm blown away by how tough it is. No wonder PSH has gone nuts over wood. The bonus of using wood, is the boards surf like good poly customs, without the dreaded hollow pop-out feel of PVC boards. These Naish boards don't have gel coat either, so no paint chips.

No comments: